Monday, June 18, 2007

I know we're not "normal" but...

I'm wondering when everyone does their curriculum shopping? We don't use formal curriculum per say. In fact the majority of our workbooks are purchased from the local dollar store that has a very nice selection of educational items available. I think that I already have everything that we will be needing for quite some time but I still sat down and wrote an article about what you should take into consideration whenever you are choosing curriculum. I think that if I had enough money to purchase curriculum, I'd be in over my head and thus overwhelmed by it all. So, I'm thankful that the system we're currently using works.

ALSO...

I'm in search of some good advice and FREE materials here ladies... I have a goal for this summer: I want to teach my daughter to read. I've tried 100 Easy Lessons and it doesn't work for us because she knows what all the letters sound like and I can't seem to find any reasonably priced "Hooked On Phonics" packages, which is what I used whenever I was learning to read. I have the "Bob" books and a bunch of worksheets from the aforementioned workbooks. Do you have anything else that you think would be useful for us. I've heard of Starfall BUT I don't like having my daughter on my work computer so I bought her a VTech Nitro Notebook which has a TON of educational stuff on it. So I need "physical" materials like worksheets and anything else that you could suggest. If anyone knows of a lapbook we could do that would be AWESOME too as she loves those but hates file folder games (don't ask me why as I've never been able to figure it out LOL)

Thanks!

4 comments:

MARK said...

Check out Hooked on Phonics on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/hooked-on-phonics

Unknown said...

In addition to their online content, Starfall has a wonderful selection of printables--books and worksheets. That's what I used to teach my daughter to read.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi love your blog wanted to maybe see if I could help you on this one...If you can find a cheap store that sales older computers (95 on up but cheap prices) I would suggest you do so. Star fall has help my children alot but there are other online programs as well that REALLY REALLY REALLY worked. I belive as a homeschooler the children do need there own computer that they work on not ours. I work on my computer as well but since at this moment I do not have one just for the kids "Yet" lol which i am working on that now i let them use mine with assistance. I find that kids who are in homes with computers tend to love them as part as a family memeber if you do not let them feel like its not theres to touch. just my opinon but I hope it helps keep up the good work with the blogging see ya later

Crystal said...

What really helped my son, since he knew all the letter sounds for a long time and could read some words, was watching the video "Word Factory" by Leapfrog.

They have a letter factory also for those learning letter sounds. Word factory taught him about blending and ever since then it clicked with him. We just checked it out thru Netflix