Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Math: Do you dread it or love it?

My daughter and I seem to share the same dislike of math. I find this unfortunate because she is SO smart. I know that she is able to grasp these concepts but just isn't enjoying it. This is something that I also know: when she enjoys something she'll learn it and want to learn more about it. I guess this shouldn't surprise me though. After all, isn't that the heart of unschooling? Spending time doing those things that you enjoy and learning more about those things that interest you. Anyhow, since I want my daughter to enjoy math I did some reading, thinking and writing. Here is what I found:

The importance of math manipulatives (I really would like to purchase Math U See)
Understanding how math works (This is a book that I've read about and now I want to purchase LOL)
Using rewards & competition (Since I only have 1 child I searched diligently for a way to have her compete with herself. I hope this helps others who are only homeschooling 1 child.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You should check out

http://www.homeschoolmath.net, all kinds of math resources

and

http://www.noetic-learning.com, an excellent online summer program

Aish Agrawal said...

A great online resource for homeschooling families can be online math tutoring . Companies like http://www.clickandclimb.com have made personal tutoring highly affordable by using global resources. Students enjoy working with teachers from all across the globe. The best part is that the teachers can use the same curriculum you use with your homeschooling program .

Unknown said...

Online Math tutoring Blogs are great resources to get more information.