Thursday, February 15, 2007

This may be the day I actually lose my mind

I've been brought up to believe that the way a child acts has a lot to say about the parents. I'm starting not to believe this anymore though. We've been having an "off" week around here. I'm not sure if it's because of the blizzard or what. My dd just isn't herself and it's making it a lot harder to be able to do anything that we normally do, not that this week is anywhere near normal. Anyway, I just had to vent and share that the old addage that says how a child acts really has a lot to say about their parents is junk.

2 comments:

Dondi Tiples said...

Hi! Got your blog link from mylot. Homeschooling sounds like a really tough thing to implement. My husband and I are both working out of necessity and getting our son homeschooled will be really hard considering our 8 to 6 schedules. How would you suggest we get around this without having to hire a tutor?
Good luck with your DD!

Brenda Marie Hoffman said...

It sounds as though you are going to need to unschool. However, even to do this, you will need to hire a sitter to stay with your son while he's young. I'm sure that you're use to paying for sitters anyhow. You can just make a list of things that you'd like to see your son accomplish during the day i.e. read a book, do some math problems, clean his room, etc. I'd try to take him to the library on Saturdays so that he can get books that he'll enjoy reading either by himself or with the sitter and there's lots of videos that you can get there too. A lot of learning is done just by living. Socialization can take place at his activities which a lot of school districts would allow him to participate in even though he's homeschooled. You'll also want to work with him some on the weekends. Remember, where there's a will, there's a way. I hope this has helped you some. If I can do this as a single parent, you can do this as a family regardless of your schedules. Good luck and I hope I didn't take to long to respond to you.