Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Studying the states of the United States

As I've mentioned before, I've stated to use index cards as an educational aid for my child. They are very helpful whenever we have some time to wait at a restaurant or at a doctor's appointment. I've also taken some relaxed days of school to just review them with her as a "drill." Well, we've also started to study the 50 states. Now since she's only 5 I'm taking things really slow and making it a lot of fun for her. This is what I'm doing and how you can do it too. So far, it seems to be working quite well. I just hope she does not grow tired of it before we have learned all 50 states, their abbreviations and flags. Hopefully this is something that you can use in your homeschool and that your children will also get a lot of enjoyment from. Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I'm not sure I understand why you choose the state flag as important to memorize. What longterm, useful value does this have?

Brenda Marie Hoffman said...

My daughter is a very visual learner and this has actually been very helpful to her to see the flags of the states she's studying.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.