Monday, January 8, 2007

Library days

I love going to our local library. Actually it's about a town away but it's such a great library that we still go there. We spend from 10AM til 1PM there on Mondays taking 2 different classes and getting books for the week. Anyway, I find that a lot of the time it is just as fulfilling for me as the craft and exercise are for my daughter. Today I met a homeschooling mom who has an 8yo son with ADHD. I spoke with her for about 15 minutes but that 15 minutes was VERY helpful. I was asking her how she managed to homeschool her son since he's so hyper (I witnessed it for myself LOL) She told me that she breaks the school lessons up throughout the entire day and also does a lot of book reading. I asked her how she managed to have her son sit still for a book and she said that she let him play. Well, I voiced my concerns about this as it was something that I've heard about other families doing and she told me that even if it's just their subconscience listening that they're still learning. This made me feel a lot better about letting my dd play while I read a book to her. I am also going to start trying to do the worksheets throughout the day instead of all at once. Hopefully this will work out better for us. I know that my attention span is short unless I really get into something so I'm sure my dd is the same way so unless she really gets into something I'm going to do 1 worksheet at a time. We're also going to get back into the swing of playing educational file folder games. I think this will make things better for the both of us. I'm tired of arguing with my dd so I'm trying to find ways around it. I've also implemented a new behavior chart so hopefully that'll also work. I'll have to tell you more about that later though because right now I'm off to unpack our stuff from the library. I also got some great books that I'll have to be sure to tell you about too.

No comments: