Sunday, April 8, 2007

Reading

I don't know what exactly to entitle this post bc it's such a mix of things. It's also going to be a short post as I'm at my parents' house celebrating Easter. Anyhow, not many of you know this about me but it was a real struggle to let go and truly be an unschooler. Even now I still question myself sometimes, even though dd is the 1 that always asks me to do a workbook. Well, today we stopped at the local drug store to pick up a few things. We were looking for Scott tissue because it was on sale and who knows why we couldn't find it but dd, who can find almost anything anyway LOL, pointed it out to us. I asked her how she knew it and she said she sounded it out. I was like WOW, my dd can actually read. Now this may sound like I didn't think she could read but you have to understand how reluctant my dd usually is when it comes to sounding out words, which I know she can do. It just was a pleasant surpise to me as well as a confirmation that unschooling is working. I can even see it in the conversations that she's had with my parents today. She is definitely paying attention whenever she watches an educational show on TV or is in Sunday school even though I'm so use to "yelling" at her to sit still, which she never does despite what I try. Yet she's still learning so much. What a happy moment for me, someone who was reluctant to unschool for such a long time.

No comments: