Friday, April 27, 2007

Socialization

Yep, that big "S" word again. This time I'm not talking about it for our children, but for us mothers. I've been having a hard time finding ways in which to socialize with other mothers. Sure, I go out and talk to people on a daily basis but I really miss forming a tight bond of friendship with someone. It seems that the friends I use to have are still single and the 1 mom that I did bond with is now busy moving to Cleveland (and I do wish her all the best). So, now, once again I'm on my own to try to find some new friendships. Am I the only 1 that seems to not be able to find these friendships? I know that I moved into an area that does not have many homeschoolers, but you'd think that there would be a way to bond with someone. I don't think that we're hermits but I do think that I have difficulty interacting with mothers who do not share at least some of my same interests. With this in mind I wrote down some things that I'd like to try to do so that I can form these friendships. Of course, I'd love to hear what you guys and gals think about socialization for homeschool moms. Where have you found friendships, outside of homeschool groups (as there are none around where I live)? Please give me a hand here as I'm starting to feel that all I do is work and homeschool, which is making me start to feel a bit lonely. Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

Brenda Marie Hoffman said...

Can you tell that we are starting to spend too much time together and thus need some help on both ends of the socialization "ladder?" I didn't even remember speaking about play dates the other day when I wrote my feelings here LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have had to really stretch myself in order to find friends. We don't have homeschool groups in our town. I started with prayer. Then I put the word out at church. I managed to rustle up some other Moms that enjoy scrapbooking. None of us regularly scrapbook, but we have all done it and knew that we enjoyed it. We set aside time and now we try to get together once every few months and have a Friday night crop. We do it at my home. We take over the dining room and kitchen for the entire night. This had really helped us to get to know each other and I got to watch as 2 other Moms started to homeschool their children! Now we have even more in common! I hope you find wonderful friends to socialize with soon. ((Hugs))

Brenda Marie Hoffman said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jessie. I know things will get better this summer when more people are out and about. There's a park where everyone congregates when it gets warm so I'm bound to find someone besides my dd and parents to talk to LOL